IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> Feeling bad for Mikal Bridges
nephillymike
post Jun 22 2018, 10:58 PM
Post #1

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

Group: Members

His Mom works for the Sixers, the boy gets drafted by his home town team, gives a press conference saying how it is a dream come true, and then finds out after the presser that he is off to Phoenix for Z. Smith and a future unprotected first rounder in three years.

Guys were celebrating at Nova and all.

I understand the move. We get a future good 1st round pick to move down six spots. EV sports dude Evan alphabet was on Comcast praising the move. That, and listening to Brett Browns interview made me feel better. But one huge thing that EV said during his analysis piece was this:

" He's a college power forward that has to learn to be an NBA shooting guard, and that's not an easy transaction." Not a one position tier change, but going from a 4 to a 2 is a two tier switch.

And, this is a team that needs shooting and he's not a good one yet.

And, the year of that pick, 2021,may be the year that the NBA does away with one and done and it may open the draft up to a lot of high school.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rick
post Jun 23 2018, 07:29 AM
Post #2

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 22 2018, 10:58 PM) *
His Mom works for the Sixers, the boy gets drafted by his home town team, gives a press conference saying how it is a dream come true, and then finds out after the presser that he is off to Phoenix for Z. Smith and a future unprotected first rounder in three years.

Guys were celebrating at Nova and all.

I understand the move. We get a future good 1st round pick to move down six spots. EV sports dude Evan alphabet was on Comcast praising the move. That, and listening to Brett Browns interview made me feel better. But one huge thing that EV said during his analysis piece was this:

" He's a college power forward that has to learn to be an NBA shooting guard, and that's not an easy transaction." Not a one position tier change, but going from a 4 to a 2 is a two tier switch.

And, this is a team that needs shooting and he's not a good one yet.

And, the year of that pick, 2021,may be the year that the NBA does away with one and done and it may open the draft up to a lot of high school.

I think it's safe to say the Sixers are about as classless as the Eagles are classy. They could have spoke with the kid and explained what was happening.

Another reason I hate the NBA...

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Jun 23 2018, 10:09 AM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

That's my view too. They could have used back channels to tell the agent to remind Mikal that trades sometimes happen. They could have used their internal channels to remind the mom that trades sometimes happen. They just needed to dampen enthusiasm.

I'm a Nova guy and don't have a problem with the trade. I think Smith is going to be awesome with Ben's passing.

Check out Smith's highlights. He is is a fun-to-watch athletic SF who plays above the rim with alley oops, one handed rebound-dunks, back door cuts, etc.

He did not attempt many threes but made them at a high percentage. He also is not a bad FT shooter.

He is not tall but is quite long for his height. He has above average NBA athleticism so is expected to be an above average defender. Some think that will allow him to contribute fairly soon.

Supposedly his handle is not so good.

M Bridges would have been a good fit for the Sixers. That 2021 pick is probably not going to be very valuable. They would not have done this trade if they didn't really like how Smith projects on this team.

I'm also confident that B. Brown sees traits in Smith that he really likes. I'm confident this is going to be okay as long as Smith buys in, works on his game--and doesn't have a shoulder injury, doesn't decide to have some no-name shot guru screw up his mechanics, and a screw doesn't come loose btw the ears, etc : (

QUOTE (Rick @ Jun 23 2018, 08:29 AM) *
I think it's safe to say the Sixers are about as classless as the Eagles are classy. They could have spoke with the kid and explained what was happening.

Another reason I hate the NBA...

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jun 23 2018, 02:09 PM
Post #4

I thought I heard that the trade wasn't offered until after the pick and the Suns called us.
Did anyone else hear this?

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Jun 23 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #5

Hall of Famer

Can you imagine being the Suns and not making a call before the draft?! I'd want to have a feel for what the Sixers were asking. Ownership might need to be contacted before giving up two 1sts. You may not have the time during the draft. The GM needs to have a good idea about the range of options that are acceptable to ownership.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 23 2018, 03:09 PM) *
I thought I heard that the trade wasn't offered until after the pick and the Suns called us.
Did anyone else hear this?

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jun 23 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jun 23 2018, 06:34 PM) *
Can you imagine being the Suns and not making a call before the draft?! I'd want to have a feel for what the Sixers were asking. Ownership might need to be contacted before giving up two 1sts. You may not have the time during the draft. The GM needs to have a good idea about the range of options that are acceptable to ownership.

Well, if you think about it, if you are the Suns, and you really want Mikal, you are pretty certain he won't last to 16. That being the case, you need to see who picks him and then start dealing. If he went to the Knicks at 9, then your pick at 16 to lure him away might be different then Smith. It worked out that option 10 B, Smith, was still there to be picked at 16, and option 10 A, Bridges, was deemed less valuable than 10 B plus a future 1st.

With five minutes between picks, you have just under 30 minutes to work out a deal. It is plausible that the Suns just laid low, ready to pounce on whoever drafted Bridges with an offer they couldn't refuse.

People are focused on what that pick in 2021 will be. Where will it fall? That is irrelevant, IMO. It is what can you buy with that pick today, and I submit that the FMV of that pick is very high in trade transactions today.

My problem is this. I do not throw many assets at a Leonard trade if he is a one year rental. Not worth my time or the false hopes of having him for a year. If he will do a long term deal, fine. If not, I am on to other things.

This offseason is urgently critical for the process. If they don't get James, Leonard on a long term deal, or George this offseason, then it brings the entire process into question. Next year's potential free agents are not nearly as good. THIS offseason is what the process is about. Brett mentions star hunting. Hunting season opens July 1st and lasts only a few weeks. Go lay claim to your perch and get your ammo ready!

We are significantly behind Boston and we need to close the gap this summer. Smith is not likely to land the dividends in '18-'19 that Bridges would have, so hopefully the pick will do that.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jun 23 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #7

By the way, how stupid is the NBA rule of having to draft a player and then trade him, rather than just trading the pick? This shit happens every year to some poor kid.

Anyone know why they do that?

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Jun 23 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #8

Veteran

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 23 2018, 08:22 PM) *
By the way, how stupid is the NBA rule of having to draft a player and then trade him, rather than just trading the pick? This shit happens every year to some poor kid.

Anyone know why they do that?

Maybe having to work around the huge NBA contracts takes more time to figure out?

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jun 23 2018, 07:49 PM
Post #9

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Jun 23 2018, 07:31 PM) *
Maybe having to work around the huge NBA contracts takes more time to figure out?

I don't know. Like the NFL, NBA rookie contracts are slotted and known ahead of time, with the right to add some sweeteners that have predetermined limits.

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Jun 23 2018, 10:23 PM
Post #10

Veteran

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 23 2018, 08:49 PM) *
I don't know. Like the NFL, NBA rookie contracts are slotted and known ahead of time, with the right to add some sweeteners that have predetermined limits.

That part I know. But the players that they want to trade for the picks may have big ones and the team may not be able to fit them under the salary cap. I really don't understand the NBA cap very well. Is it a hard cap or luxury cap like baseball is?

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jun 23 2018, 10:36 PM
Post #11

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Jun 23 2018, 10:23 PM) *
That part I know. But the players that they want to trade for the picks may have big ones and the team may not be able to fit them under the salary cap. I really don't understand the NBA cap very well. Is it a hard cap or luxury cap like baseball is?

It is very complicated with all types of exceptions and luxury tax limits etc.

But I wouldn't think trading pick for pick would be cumbersome.

I will see if I can find anything on it

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Jun 24 2018, 12:10 AM
Post #12

Hall of Famer

But you are forgetting the Sixers' side of that scenario. Teams spend months assessing talent that they expect to be available at the time of their pick.

The Suns needed to contact the Sixers many weeks earlier so the Sixers could schedule workouts with the player(s) they'd accept in the trade.

To make my point, Smith was projected to go in the late teens--below the Sixers' #10 and well before their #26. However the Sixers worked Smith out twice if I recall correctly.

If I recall correctly, the workout with Bridges was private, not with a group. That seemed suspicious to me at the time. I wonder if that allowed the Sixers to quietly invite scouts from the Suns.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 23 2018, 08:20 PM) *
Well, if you think about it, if you are the Suns, and you really want Mikal, you are pretty certain he won't last to 16. That being the case, you need to see who picks him and then start dealing. If he went to the Knicks at 9, then your pick at 16 to lure him away might be different then Smith. It worked out that option 10 B, Smith, was still there to be picked at 16, and option 10 A, Bridges, was deemed less valuable than 10 B plus a future 1st.

With five minutes between picks, you have just under 30 minutes to work out a deal. It is plausible that the Suns just laid low, ready to pounce on whoever drafted Bridges with an offer they couldn't refuse.

People are focused on what that pick in 2021 will be. Where will it fall? That is irrelevant, IMO. It is what can you buy with that pick today, and I submit that the FMV of that pick is very high in trade transactions today.

My problem is this. I do not throw many assets at a Leonard trade if he is a one year rental. Not worth my time or the false hopes of having him for a year. If he will do a long term deal, fine. If not, I am on to other things.

This offseason is urgently critical for the process. If they don't get James, Leonard on a long term deal, or George this offseason, then it brings the entire process into question. Next year's potential free agents are not nearly as good. THIS offseason is what the process is about. Brett mentions star hunting. Hunting season opens July 1st and lasts only a few weeks. Go lay claim to your perch and get your ammo ready!

We are significantly behind Boston and we need to close the gap this summer. Smith is not likely to land the dividends in '18-'19 that Bridges would have, so hopefully the pick will do that.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jun 24 2018, 06:08 AM
Post #13

When I listen to Brown's press conference, he puts the time table as this:

They pick 1A in Bridges and pass on 1B Smith

After the pick, a few teams called and offered what he termed as not a Godfather trade (not an offer they couldn't refuse).

Then, the Suns came with their offer, which was the offer they couldn't refuse.

It all happened within 30 minutes.

It seems plausible. You listen to Brown tell the story, and it seems real, unlike the full of shit stories we got from Colangelo, or that pussy Hinkie who wouldn't face the media. Brown's straightforward honesty was refreshing IMO.

Let's face it. If it wasn't a local kid we loved so much, we wouldn't spend a second worrying about it.

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Jun 24 2018, 08:58 AM
Post #14

Hall of Famer

It is more than a local kid. Bridges was not expected to make it past #10. Some thought he was the most NBA ready option and a guy with a high floor but not high ceiling.

Smith is more of a project with higher upside.

Bridges seemed to fit a team with a win-now mentality. Maybe this move suggests that the Sixers are not really in win-now mode, but still need quite a bit of growth. Simmons and Fultz need to develop at least a mid range jump shot. The young, thin European SG has upside potential.

The statements by Brown could be true and it could also be true that teams had been calling for weeks trying to gauge Sixers interest in trading down.

QUOTE (nephillymike @ Jun 24 2018, 07:08 AM) *
When I listen to Brown's press conference, he puts the time table as this:

They pick 1A in Bridges and pass on 1B Smith

After the pick, a few teams called and offered what he termed as not a Godfather trade (not an offer they couldn't refuse).

Then, the Suns came with their offer, which was the offer they couldn't refuse.

It all happened within 30 minutes.

It seems plausible. You listen to Brown tell the story, and it seems real, unlike the full of shit stories we got from Colangelo, or that pussy Hinkie who wouldn't face the media. Brown's straightforward honesty was refreshing IMO.

Let's face it. If it wasn't a local kid we loved so much, we wouldn't spend a second worrying about it.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2018 - 06:17 AM