IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Buy Eagles tickets or search for cheap sports tickets including all playoff games and super bowl tickets @ LetsGetTickets.com
Posts in this topic
> Your Best Eleven Eagles of all time
Eyrie
post Jun 19 2018, 04:46 PM
Post #1

Illegal Alien

Group: Members

Shamelessly stolen from NFL.com, but then it's the offseason so what else is there to do?

My list =

Bednarik, Dawkins, White, Van Buren, McDonald, Retzlaff, Wistert, Peters, Cunningham, Brown, Trotter.

Some based on having watched them, some on their achievements.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Jun 19 2018, 08:20 PM
Post #2

Veteran

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 19 2018, 05:46 PM) *
Shamelessly stolen from NFL.com, but then it's the offseason so what else is there to do?

My list =

Bednarik, Dawkins, White, Van Buren, McDonald, Retzlaff, Wistert, Peters, Cunningham, Brown, Trotter.

Have you ever seen "A Football Life" on Cunningham? I can't stand looking at him anymore after watching that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv7SPgIV1EU

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Jun 19 2018, 08:47 PM
Post #3

Hall of Famer

There are a number of guys I'd pick over the Ax Man, especially after he left us in a bad spot.

Reggie White would be #1 on the list of guys I've seen.

I would not want to put him in my list but TO deserves it based on talent.

Maybe Eric Allen, CB during Buddy Ryan era.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 19 2018, 05:46 PM) *

My list =

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Jun 19 2018, 10:25 PM
Post #4

Veteran

It's impossible to compare eras so I think that these 9 players should be on the list seeing as though they are in Canton:

Chuck Bednarik, Bob Brown, Brian Dawkins, Reggie White, Steve Van Buren, Tommy McDonald, , Pete Pihos, Sonny Jurgensen, and Norm Van Brocklin. Jim Ringo finished his career with us too and he's an HOFer. Bill Bergy went into the "Hall of very good" whatever that is??? Greasy Neil went in as a coach. That leaves one guy left in my book. I might go with McNabb there.

+Quote Post
Eyrie
post Jun 20 2018, 02:35 PM
Post #5

Illegal Alien

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jun 20 2018, 02:47 AM) *
There are a number of guys I'd pick over the Ax Man, especially after he left us in a bad spot.

But two years later he came back and immediately improved our defence.

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Jun 20 2018, 02:20 AM) *
Have you ever seen "A Football Life" on Cunningham? I can't stand looking at him anymore after watching that.

Haven't seen it, but The Ultimate Weapon was a joy to watch when I became an Eagles fan, so got my nod for sheer nostalgia.

--------------------
Stuff the Axis application - we're the 2018 SuperBowl Champions!!!!

+Quote Post
Dreagon
post Jun 20 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #6

Hall of Famer

No Mike Quick or Harold Carmicheal?

+Quote Post
Joegrane
post Jun 20 2018, 09:09 PM
Post #7

Hall of Famer

I agree with you about Cunningham.

I don't know that I'd rate Trotter higher than MLB, Bill Bergy who I remember watching with admiration as a kid.

According to this list of Eagles Pro Bowlers Bergey was a 2-time All Pro and 4x Pro Bowler.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/team...hi/all-pros.htm

Had Keith Jackson stayed with the Eagles, he'd easily be on the list. Keith was the TE beast during the B. Ryan era. He was a 6x Pro Bowler. He was 3x All Pro as an Eagle.

Mike Quick, WR in the 1980s was 5x Pro Bowler and 2x All Pro. He was not as flashy as D Jax but but made plays reliably without the negative drama.

Dreagon I thought about Harold Carmichael. He was a 6' 8" WR/TE during the HORRIBLE 1970s. Remember the Eagles did not have even one team with a 500 record from the late 1960s to the Vermeil era in the late 1970s.

Carmichael was seemingly the only weapon on those horrible teams in the 70s. The QBs were generally terrible. So they just threw the ball up high to him along the sidelines. The DBs could do nothing to defend against it, so play after play they would drill him in the ribs. He had no speed so every play was contested. The guy was so tough. At times it was hard to watch him get pummeled time and time again. Remember that was well before all of the protections for the WRs.

Three of his 4 Pro Bowls came during the successful Vermeil era. How many more ProBowls would he have had if he had a decent supporting cast, especially QB who could hit the side of a barn. He played 13 years with the Eagles and amassed almost 9,000 yards.

QUOTE (Eyrie @ Jun 20 2018, 03:35 PM) *
But two years later he came back and immediately improved our defence.

Haven't seen it, but The Ultimate Weapon was a joy to watch when I became an Eagles fan, so got my nod for sheer nostalgia.

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jun 20 2018, 02:47 AM) *

+Quote Post
Reality Fan
post Jun 20 2018, 10:11 PM
Post #8

Keeper Of The Truth

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Jun 19 2018, 09:20 PM) *

Really? Why?

I love Joyner, Byars, Dawk, Wes Hopkins, and Celek. White was a great player but he killed it for me when he did the whole "god is telling me to go to Green Bay" bs. Personally, for me, Cunningham made every game something to not be missed. I loved watching him play like no other football player and the only this that the FootBall Life episode did was remind me what a talent we wasted with Buddy as his coach.

--------------------
The sooner you agree with me, the sooner you'll be right.

+Quote Post
Dreagon
post Jun 20 2018, 10:48 PM
Post #9

Hall of Famer

QUOTE (Joegrane @ Jun 20 2018, 08:09 PM) *
Dreagon I thought about Harold Carmichael. He was a 6' 8" WR/TE during the HORRIBLE 1970s. Remember the Eagles did not have even one team with a 500 record from the late 1960s to the Vermeil era in the late 1970s.

Carmichael was seemingly the only weapon on those horrible teams in the 70s. The QBs were generally terrible. So they just threw the ball up high to him along the sidelines. The DBs could do nothing to defend against it, so play after play they would drill him in the ribs. He had no speed so every play was contested. The guy was so tough. At times it was hard to watch him get pummeled time and time again. Remember that was well before all of the protections for the WRs.

Three of his 4 Pro Bowls came during the successful Vermeil era. How many more ProBowls would he have had if he had a decent supporting cast, especially QB who could hit the side of a barn. He played 13 years with the Eagles and amassed almost 9,000 yards.

All I can say is I remember being a kid in the 1970s and repeatedly yelling at the TV "For God's sake! Somebody cover Carmichael!"

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jun 21 2018, 08:00 AM
Post #10

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

After much research from the beaches of NJ, I give you my best guess compilation.

A few clarifications of elligibility:

- had to play at least five seasons for the Eagles. This eliminates HOFs TO, Carter, Humphrey, Lofton, Matson, Monk, Ringo, Van Brocklin

- had to have at least one Pro Bowl or 1st team AP selection while an Eagle. This eliminates Alex Wojiecowicz (sp) who although he played five years here, had none of his awarded seasons with the Eagles.

- has to be in the HOF or in the Eagles Hall of Fame or be an active or recently retired player with multiple Pro Bowls for the Eagles.

In order here are my top 11, and the next 9, to give my top twenty Eagles of all time. The ( ) is number of seasons as an Eagle, then I list 1st Team All Pro - Pro Bowls as an Eagle and then 1st Team All Pro - Pro Bowls for total career. Note, Pro Bowls started around 1950, so some of the old timers only have All Pros.

1. R. White (8), 6-7, 8-13
2. C. Bednarik (14), 5-8, 5-8
3. S. Van Buren (8), 5-n/a, 5-n/a
4. A. Wistart (9), 6-1, 6-1
5. P. Pihos (9) 5-6, 5-6
6. B. Dawkins (13), 4-7, 4-9
7. J. Peters (14), 2-7, 2-9
8. B. Brown (5), 3-3, 5-6
9. M. Quick (9), 2-5, 2-5
10. P. Retzlaff (11), 2-5, 2-5
11. M. Baughan (6), 1-5, 2-9
-----------------------------------------
12. T. McDonald (7), 0-5, 0-6
13. E. Allen (7), 1-5, 1-6
14. D. McNabb (11), 0-6, 0-6
15. D. Akers (12), 1-5, 2-6
16. T. Vincent (8), 1-5, 1-5
17. B. Bergey (9), 2-4, 2-4
18. J. Trotter (8), 2-4, 2-4
19. R. Cunningham (11), 1-3, 2-4
20. B. Bradley (8), 2-3, 2-3
----------------------------------------
21. S. Jorgensen (7), 1-1, 2-5
22. B. Westbrook (8), 2-2, 2-2
23. J. Brown (5), 2-2, 2-2
24. T. Brown (8), 0-3, 0-3
25. C. Wentz (2), because I said so!

BTW, how did Jorgensen get into the HOF? Seems way short to me.

+Quote Post
eagle60
post Jun 21 2018, 09:55 AM
Post #11

Veteran

QUOTE (Reality Fan @ Jun 20 2018, 11:11 PM) *
Really? Why?

I love Joyner, Byars, Dawk, Wes Hopkins, and Celek. White was a great player but he killed it for me when he did the whole "god is telling me to go to Green Bay" bs. Personally, for me, Cunningham made every game something to not be missed. I loved watching him play like no other football player and the only this that the FootBall Life episode did was remind me what a talent we wasted with Buddy as his coach.

It didn't bother you how he skipped out of a game at halftime to go to a party with Whitney Houston? Or not study QB at all and instead studied for his tv show? How about taking off for his so called baby delivery (that happened two weeks later)the week before the playoff game with Dallas because he wasn't starting and not knowing any of the plays when Rodney Peete got hurt? He was a selfish egomaniac and didn't have anything to do with the team. Did you ever read "Bringing the Heat" about the 1992 Eagles team where the author spent a year with the team? I happened to have the good fortune of staying at Mike Golek's house for a weekend just before the second game against Washington that year. Nobody on the team could stand him and Golek actually had a segment called "Golek's got it" where he did skits on his show and was a riot but still couldn't stand him. I was in Mike's living room when he got the call from Reggie White that his stepfather was murdered in Tennessee that night. Great athlete and phoney asshole is Cunningham's MO. Don't tell me Cunningham deserved to be on that list because there are too many reasons why he shouldn't be. Why don't you rewatch that tv show where some of this stuff is verified? I gave you the linc and it's only 40 minutes long. Now he's some phony minister to get even more attention. I'm just not buying. Like I said great athlete but not on the Philly list. He did change his tune when he got to Minnesota but that didn't do the Eagles any good. I'll never forgive him for screwing the Eagles when he could have been one of the best ever.

+Quote Post
nephillymike
post Jun 21 2018, 10:38 AM
Post #12

Super Bowl Champs Baybee !!

QUOTE (eagle60 @ Jun 21 2018, 09:55 AM) *
It didn't bother you how he skipped out of a game at halftime to go to a party with Whitney Houston? Or not study QB at all and instead studied for his tv show? How about taking off for his so called baby delivery (that happened two weeks later)the week before the playoff game with Dallas because he wasn't starting and not knowing any of the plays when Rodney Peete got hurt? He was a selfish egomaniac and didn't have anything to do with the team. Did you ever read "Bringing the Heat" about the 1992 Eagles team where the author spent a year with the team? I happened to have the good fortune of staying at Mike Golek's house for a weekend just before the second game against Washington that year. Nobody on the team could stand him and Golek actually had a segment called "Golek's got it" where he did skits on his show and was a riot but still couldn't stand him. I was in Mike's living room when he got the call from Reggie White that his stepfather was murdered in Tennessee that night. Great athlete and phoney asshole is Cunningham's MO. Don't tell me Cunningham deserved to be on that list because there are too many reasons why he shouldn't be. Why don't you rewatch that tv show where some of this stuff is verified? I gave you the linc and it's only 40 minutes long. Now he's some phony minister to get even more attention. I'm just not buying. Like I said great athlete but not on the Philly list. He did change his tune when he got to Minnesota but that didn't do the Eagles any good. I'll never forgive him for screwing the Eagles when he could have been one of the best ever.

I agree with the gist of most of this, sad to say. He didn't grow up until he got to MIN. He and others left a preseason game at half to go to the party. I don't hold that against him. But not being prepared for that playoff game as a backup to Peete, inexcusable. He matured after he left here and it was a shame somebody couldn't kick his sensitive ass earlier to get the best out of him while here. Buddy's ego and the way he treated the offense as red headed step children, gave us little chance at getting a real OC here. Maybe a real one would have gotten more out of the baby.

Remember him turning his jacket inside out while that great talent Bubby Brister started ahead of the big baby?

Still a hell of a talent who was benched several times and only was selected to three PB by his peers despite incredible talent.

The defense he read in the opener his first year in MIN, was the FIRST defense he ever read. Clueless in that regard as an Eagles QB and had NO desire to change.

So in summary, although he makes my top 20, Fuck him.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

NFL Football Tickets    football flash games   
RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th July 2018 - 02:29 AM